Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Blackhawk Hotel

Our first week in Davenport we stayed at the historical Blackhawk Hotel.   Simply gorgeous!  During the early part of the 1900's the town was booming and this grand hotel had many famous guest.  Cary Grant being one, thus I borrowed his quote "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened".   I took this to heart during our stay in Iowa, remembering his words when I would start to feel sad about leaving.  The Midwest brings a longing deep inside.  It feels like home.







The suite was stunning with a balcony view of the Mississippi River.  The hotel had recently been renovated to it's original time period with modern hip touches.  On the bottom floor is a bowling alley and bar sleekly designed.  The restaurant "Bix", named after Bix Beiderbecke the famous Jazz musician/composer, was wonderful.  

The last photo is a piece of the original china from The Blackhawk which Chuck bought in the 1970's from an antique store in Iowa.  We have had this in our china cabinet all these years and I never would have thought I would get a chance to actually stay in this hotel.

I could go on and on about how fabulous The Blackhawk is, but I need to move on to other parts of our trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment